HOUSTON – Aug. 10, 2016 – During the Spring ISD Board of Trustees regular scheduled meeting, the Board unanimously accepted the Bond Steering Committee’s recommendation to call for a $330 million bond referendum to address district facility, technology, and safety and security needs. It has been nearly a decade since the district called for a bond. The measure, which will address long-awaited capital needs, will be placed on the November 2016 ballot.
The steering committee, made up of more than 70 community members, met six times over the summer to review the district’s outstanding capital needs and discuss various elements to be included in a potential bond referendum. The final proposal, which was originally presented during the Board work session on Thursday, Aug. 4, includes a variety of projects that address items outlined in the district’s strategic plan, EVERY CHILD 2020.
An overview of the proposal is listed below:
- Construction of two new middle schools
- Development of three ninth grade centers, one at each of the district’s comprehensive high schools, including renovations to Roberson Middle School for Westfield High School’s ninth graders
- Construction of a districtwide stadium for football, soccer, band and related activities
- Retrofitting district elementary schools to support full-day prekindergarten programs at each campus
- Construction of a new police command center
- Improvements to core technology, including improved connectivity, enhanced infrastructure and a new telephone system
- Purchase of instructional and classroom technology to expand 21st century learning opportunities
Safety and Security
- Purchase of additional safety and security features, including digital surveillance systems, backup generators, police mobile data terminal, radio systems and security upgrades for facility entries and perimeters
- Replacement of 45 outdated buses
- Expansion of bus services for students who live within a mile of their campus
As a reminder, Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2016. Early voting will begin Oct. 24, 2016 and end Nov. 4, 2016. The last day to register to vote in this election is Oct. 11, 2016.