HOUSTON – March 27, 2018 – Spring ISD elementary schools will hold their Prekindergarten and Kindergarten Round-up from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. April 16 and 18, and from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. April 17 and 19 at all Spring ISD Elementary Schools.
The round-up is for eligible children who qualify for prekindergarten during the 2018-19 school year and students who will be old enough to attend kindergarten, although children who are currently enrolled in Spring ISD prekindergarten will be automatically enrolled in kindergarten without having to participate in the round-up.
“Studies show that early childhood programs play an important role in a child’s development,” said Chief of School Leadership and Student Support Services Dr. Lupita Hinojosa. “We are pleased to be able to offer a solid Pre-K curriculum at all our elementary campuses, along with a number of schools where full-day Pre-K programs are offered as well.”
Full-day prekindergarten classes are offered at Clark Primary, Anderson, Heritage, Lewis, Link, Smith and Thompson elementary schools, while half-day programs are available at all other Spring ISD elementary schools to students who are eligible. They must be four years old on or before Sept. 1, 2018, and qualify because they meet one or more of the following criteria: economically disadvantaged, homeless, children of military personnel and/or speak a language other than English.
To apply for prekindergarten or register a child for kindergarten, a parent or legal guardian must be with the child and present all of the following items:
- Certified copy of birth certificate or passport.
- Current immunization record signed by a physician or physician’s designee.
- Proof of residence in the Spring ISD attendance zone. An original lease/mortgage agreement, and water, natural gas, or electric bills are acceptable.
- Social Security card. If not available, the student will be assigned a State ID number.
- Legal guardian’s Texas driver’s license or Texas Department of Transportation identification card. If the parent or guardian does not have a Texas driver’s license or a TxDOT ID card, other photo ID will be considered in combination with a birth certificate.
- Most recent report card and withdrawal form from previous school, if applicable.
Parents whose children will be five years old by Sept. 1, 2018 are highly encouraged to register their students if they are not already registered for the district’s full-day kindergarten program. Registration for kindergarten is voluntary, but once a child enrolls, he or she becomes subject to the compulsory attendance law, requiring a student to be in attendance at least 90 percent of the days that school is in session.
For more information about registration, special needs and/or other specific questions call the campus where your student is zoned or the Spring ISD Schools Office at 281-891-6036.