HOUSTON – Aug. 1, 2016 – Several members of the Bond Steering Committee will present the committee’s recommendations to the Spring ISD Board of Trustees Thursday, Aug. 4 during the regularly scheduled August board work session. The steering committee, made up of more than 60 community members, met six times over the summer to review the district’s outstanding capital needs and discuss various elements to be included in a potential bond referendum.
During the work session, presenters will provide an overview of the committee’s work including how the group prioritized the district’s needs and determined the best ways to address them. They will also outline a potential bond package totaling $330 million and will recommend that the board seek to place the item on the ballot for the November 2016 general election.
The committee’s proposal includes a variety of projects that address items outlined in the district’s strategic plan, EVERY CHILD 2020, which was launched in May 2015.
- Construction of two new middle schools
- Development of three ninth grade centers, one at each of the district’s comprehensive high schools, including renovations to Roberson Middle School for Westfield High School’s ninth graders
- Construction of a district-wide stadium for football, soccer, band and related activities
- Repurposing a district facility to create an early childhood center
- Construction of a new police command center
- Improvements to core technology, including improved connectivity, enhanced infrastructure and a new telephone system
- Purchase of additional instructional and classroom technology
Safety and Security
- Purchase of additional safety and security features, including digital surveillance systems, backup generators, police mobile data terminal, radio systems and security upgrades for facility entries and perimeters
- Replacement of 45 outdated buses
- Expansion of bus services for students who live within a mile of their campus
The Spring ISD Board of Trustees must officially call for a bond referendum by Aug. 22 to have the item added to the November ballot.
To learn more, visit the Bond Steering Committee page online at www.springisd.org/steering.