HOUSTON – May 30, 2019 – There will be five Spring ISD high schools graduating seniors this year as Carl Wunsche Sr. High School’s first graduating class, since it opened as an academy, will join the ranks of Dekaney, Spring and Westfield high schools on Sunday, June 2 at the Richard E. Berry Educational Support Center. Spring Early College Academy graduation will be on Saturday, June 1 at Lone Star College-North Harris. More than 2,000 high school seniors from across the district will participate in the ceremonies.
“We are excited about this milestone for Carl Wunsche Sr. High School,” said Dr. Rodney Watson, superintendent of schools. “Graduation day is the culmination of more than 12 years of hard work and commitment from our graduates and their families. It is a time for all our high schools to celebrate, and we are pleased to welcome Wunsche into our group of alma maters.”
Since Wunsche opened as a career academy and school of choice in 2006, Wunsche graduates were included in the graduating classes of their zoned campuses. In 2015-16, the decision was made for the academy to become its own school of accountability, admitting its first freshman class. The ninth graders who were selected by random lottery to attend Wunsche that year are now the academy’s first graduating class.
Dekaney, Westfield, Wunsche and Spring high school graduations will take place June 2 at the 8,000-seat Berry Center, 8877 Barker Cypress, Cypress, while the Spring Early College Academy ceremony will be June 1 at the Lone Star College-North Harris Conference Center, 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston. All the ceremonies will be approximately two hours long and Spring ISD Board of Trustees, Superintendent Dr. Rodney E. Watson, student leaders and school administrators will participate.
Each ceremony will include speeches by the school’s valedictorian and salutatorian. They are:
- Andy Dekaney High School – Yesenia Reynaga, valedictorian, and Gabriel Manzano, salutatorian;
- Carl Wunsche Sr. High School – Alina Khan, valedictorian, and Omar Hernandez, salutatorian;
- Spring Early College Academy – Autumn Smith, valedictorian, and Alexander Aziaklo, salutatorian;
- Spring High School – Cindy Keeya, valedictorian, and Haley Wesley, salutatorian; and
- Westfield High School – Esu Ekeruche, valedictorian, and Amari West, salutatorian.
Both locations have ample parking for friends and family planning to attend, and law enforcement will be on hand to direct traffic. Health and medical services will also be available.
Guests will be allowed into the facilities one hour before the start of the program. It is important for guests to note that both venues prohibit air horns, balloons, signs, banners and flowers. Dekaney, Spring and Westfield graduates will receive admission tickets during their scheduled graduation practices and all guests, including children, will need to present a ticket to be admitted to those schools’ ceremonies.
Spring ISD Graduation Ceremonies:
- Spring Early College Academy – 4:00 p.m. Saturday, June 1, Lone Star College-North Harris Conference Center
- Andy Dekaney High School – 9 a.m., Sunday, June 2, Berry Center
- Westfield High School – 1 p.m., Sunday, June 2, Berry Center
- Carl Wunsche Sr. High School – 4:30 p.m., Sunday, June 2, Berry Center
- Spring High School – 7 p.m. Sunday, June 2, Berry Center