THE WOODLANDS, Texas – Huntsman Corporation (NYSE: HUN) is pleased to announce 16 graduating seniors from Spring Independent School District are the inaugural recipients of a new scholarship program.
The Huntsman Scholarship Program recognizes the outstanding achievements of four students from four of Spring ISD’s high schools with a $20,000 scholarship – $5,000 per year – for attending an accredited college or university and majoring in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) or business-related fields. The scholarship is renewable for up to four years by maintaining a 3.0 grade point average. Eight of the recipients will be the first in their families to pursue a college degree.
“Many deserving students often miss the opportunity to pursue higher education due to limited financial resources,” said Peter Huntsman, Chairman and CEO. “It is our hope that these scholarships will help pave the way for these talented students to achieve their educational goals.”
Applications for the Huntsman Scholarship Program were evaluated on unweighted grade point averages, class rank, academic achievement, leadership, career goals and letters of recommendation. Distinguished recipients of the 2021 Huntsman Scholarship include:
- Robert Benford, Dekaney High School, North Carolina A&T State University
- Ravyn Hollins, Dekaney High School, Boston University
- Roiyale Jackson, Dekaney High School, Texas State University
- Yamileth Martinez, Dekaney High School, Lone Star College
- Joshua Curda, Spring High School, Texas A&M University
- Naturi Gant, Spring High School, University of Texas
- Sofia Rojas, Spring High School, Texas A&M University
- Raul Soto-Alabarce, Spring High School, University of Houston-Downtown
- Karla Carrillo, Westfield High School, Lone Star College
- Joshua Ito, Westfield High School, University of Texas
- Gabriela Solano, Westfield High School, Lone Star College
- Alyssa Stoutes, Westfield High School, University of Texas-San Antonio
- Muziat Abubaker, Wunsche High School, University of Houston
- Thao Bui, Wunsche High School, Texas A&M University
- Vittoria Palomba, Wunsche High School, University of Toronto
- Zahra Rizvi, Wunsche High School, University of Houston
The scholarship program is just one of the ways Huntsman is partnering with Spring ISD. The company has also committed to actively participating in The Vine Mentoring Program, where incoming 9th grade students will be paired with Huntsman employees. These Huntsman mentors will assist with goal setting and career pathway discussions while also providing a source of personal encouragement and guidance.
“Since its formation, Huntsman Corporation has made giving back to the communities where we live and work a priority,” added Huntsman. “While our corporate contributions of time and resources take many forms, providing educational opportunities for students is, in our view, a meaningful way of both giving back to the community and investing in our future.”
Spring ISD Superintendent Rodney E. Watson agreed, adding that the company’s commitment to local students would yield benefits for many years to come.
“It is our firm belief here in Spring ISD that the strength of the school district and the strength of the surrounding community are connected, with each dependent on the other to achieve its full potential,” Watson said. “These generous Huntsman Scholarship Program awards are already changing students’ lives and opening up new possibilities for their futures. We’re incredibly grateful to Huntsman Corporation for their commitment to serving area students and to the future of the community we all share.”
Huntsman Corporation is a publicly traded global manufacturer and marketer of differentiated and specialty chemicals with 2020 revenues of approximately $6 billion. Our chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets. We operate more than 70 manufacturing, R&D and operations facilities in approximately 30 countries and employ approximately 9,000 associates within our four distinct business divisions. For more information about Huntsman, please visit the company’s website at www.huntsman.com.