HOUSTON – Jan. 9, 2018 – Spring Early College Academy, a premier school in the Houston area, is accepting applications now through Jan. 31 from current Spring ISD eighth-grade students who may be interested in applying for the 2018-19 school year. Eighth-graders and their parents will have several opportunities to learn more about the academy at informational meetings scheduled Jan. 10-22 at middle schools districtwide.
“We want our current eighth graders to be fully aware of the unique educational opportunities available at the academy, including the chance to earn an Associate of Arts degree while still in high school,” said Diana Kimberly, principal.
Through a partnership between Spring ISD and Lone Star College-North Harris, the academy offers students – grades 9-12 – a rigorous and supportive academic program of study that blends high school and college work. The school’s primary goal is for students to graduate with a Distinguished High School Diploma and an associate degree or 60 college credit hours toward a bachelor’s degree. It is an opportunity for students, who may not otherwise consider attending college, to earn 12 to 60 college hours free-of-charge.
Since opening in 2011, the academy has earned several recognitions. It is designated as a demonstration site for early college highs schools by the Texas Education Agency, named as one of the top high schools in the state by U.S. News and World Report, and recognized by the AVID program as a site of distinction. In addition, it has been designated as a No Place for Hate campus by the Anti Defamation League for six consecutive years.
Parents are welcome to attend any one of the following informational meetings that fits their schedule.
Parent Informational Meeting Schedule:
- Claughton Middle School – Jan. 10, 6:30 p.m.
- Bammel Middle School – Jan. 11, 6:30 p.m.
- Wells Middle School – Jan. 11, 6:30 p.m.
- Dueitt Middle School – Jan. 16, 6:30 p.m.
- Twin Creeks Middle School – Jan. 16, 6:30 p.m.
- Bailey Middle School – Jan. 17, 6:30 p.m.
- Roberson Middle School – Jan. 17, 6:30 p.m.
- Spring Early College Academy – Jan. 22, 6:00 p.m.
Important upcoming dates for interested applicants are:
- Applications due – Jan. 31
- Student and Parent Interviews – Feb. 17
- Notification letters mailed – Feb. 26
- Acceptance letters due to Early College – March 8
- Alpha Academy Orientation – June 18-21
For more information about the academy, the application and selection process, and to download the application, visit the website at www.springisd.org/earlycollege. Follow the academy on Twitter: @ECalphas.